What is WWOOF?
Aloha!! Welcome to the WWOOF program in Hawaii
World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms (WWOOF) is a unique educational organic farming and cultural exchange program that allows participants to gain practical sustainable agriculture experience, while meeting and forming relationships with people from around the world.
‘WWOOFers’ are linked up with one or more of the 240 host farms in Hawaii, where they help with farm work for four to six hours a day, for generally five days a week. In turn, WWOOFers receive room and board, and a great opportunity to learn about organic farming.
Your WWOOFing life
As a WWOOFer on a host farm, you will be expected to participate in farm- and garden-related chores. You will enjoy a wide variety of agricultural learning experiences, including growing vegetables, harvesting fruit, beekeeping, aquaponics, and working with animals. Each host farm will vary based on its needs and what it offers to its WWOOFers, so be sure to ask the host about meals, accommodations and what their expectations are.
Who can WWOOF?
Anyone over the age of 18 can sign up for a yearly WWOOF Hawaii membership. The most important thing is that you are healthy and can endure 4-5 hours a day of physical activities. We encourage WWOOFers and Hosts of all walks of life to be a part of WWOOF Hawaii, which helps strengthen sustainable agriculture efforts and partnerships worldwide. Organic farming experience is not required, but you should have a passion for sustainable agriculture and a strong drive for learning.
For prospective WWOOFers coming from overseas, WWOOF Hawaii recommends that you have a basic understanding of English. Also, be sure to check out our VISA INFORMATION section to make sure you are ready to travel.
Signing up as a WWOOFer allows you to gain firsthand organic farming experience, during a time when our planet needs it the most—all while soaking in the gorgeous Hawaiian landscape and rich, local culture!
WWOOFers come to Hawaii from all over the world, so you will have the opportunity to form relationships with people of many cultures. In our modern, technological world that socially cuts us off from one another, WWOOFing allows people to form valuable, personal connections with others.
For the equivalent of part-time working hours, you will enjoy free accommodations and meals; the opportunity to travel throughout the five main islands; and a dynamic, unforgettable life experience. While many people are working full-time hours in stuffy offices and indoor spaces, your part-time workplace will be located in the midst of Hawaii’s lush paradise.
Not only will you be able to enrich your own life, but you will also contribute to the greater worldwide organic food movement, meeting and networking with like minds in the process. Coming together to grow organic food in a sustainable way allows us to help change the course of our unhealthy, unsustainable food system and lifestyles.
How to Get Started as a WWOOFer/Volunteer
- First thing to do is click on the "Ideal WWOOFer" on the right hand side of the page and make sure WWOOFing is right for you
- Second thing to do is click on the sunflower "Become a WWOOFer" where you can create an account
- Then you will be sent an email which will have a link for you to click on where you will create a password
- Now you will be directed to a page that will guide you on how to pay for your membership
- We accept payments through Paypal or they can be sent by check, cash, or money order
- Once you have paid for an account, you will then have access to view all the Hosts profiles. Search through them and find which ones you feel best suite the type of farm you are looking for. You can always add them to your favorites and go back and view them later.
- Once you have narrowed down your search, send out emails or phone calls to the Hosts letting them know about your availability. We recommend you choose at least 10 different Hosts you want to stay with in order for you to have more options. You will also want to ask LOTS of questions to make sure you fully understand where you are going and what you can expect. Find out about the area as well and make sure it is in a location you are comfortable with. Sometimes it takes a bit for them to respond back. They are very busy and are usually away from the computer. We recommend you start inquiring with your Hosts at least 4-6 weeks before you plan on WWOOFing since most Hosts book ahead of time and space may not be available right when you sign up.
- Once you have heard back and arranged a date to come volunteer with them, you are ready to pack your bags.
- Make all of your travel arrangements and make sure you are prepared for WWOOfing in Hawaii.
- If you are not sure what you will need to bring, find out from your Hosts.
- Once you have all the details covered, you are ready to go!!!
How to List your farm as a Host
- First thing to do is read the the Host Guidelines and Ideal Host located on the right hand side and make sure our program is right for you
- If you feel you have what is takes to be a GREAT Host click on the sunflower "Become a Host"on our homepage that says "Become a Host"
- You will be guided to set up an account and will have to answer some questions
- We will receive an email with your questions and will review your application
- If we have any further questions, we will let you know
- Once your farms has been approved, your account will be activated so you can continue signing up and will then be able to create a profile and list your farm
- Please let us know if you have any questions